What Am I Allowed To Bring On The Bus?
For questions about items you can or cannot bring on the bus in addition to those listed below, contact the West River Transit office at 701-224-1876 prior to getting on the bus.
- Packages - You may have as may packages as you can keep under your control while the bus is moving. Secure loose items to prevent them from rolling around. Nothing may be placed in the aisle or next to the wheelchair lift.
- Mobility Devices and Wheelchairs - We have buses and vans that are accessible for people who use mobility devices. When you call to reserve your ride, please tell the dispatcher if you use a mobility device such as a walker, manual or motorized wheelchair, scooter, etc., and if you will need a lift or ramp to enter the vehicle. All mobility devices must be secured within the vehicle by the driver. Our drivers have all received training in handling mobility devices and securing them properly.
- Oxygen Tanks - Portable oxygen tanks are allowed on the vehicle but must be secured by the driver. Please let the dispatcher know when you schedule your ride if you will be bringing a portable oxygen tank on board.
- Car Seats - If you are bringing a small children or infants with you on the bus, you must bring a car seat for them to use. You must restrain the car seat using the seat belts provided in the vehicle. The driver will not be responsible for restraining the car seat. Several West River Transit buses have integrated child seats on the bus. Ask the dispatcher if your bus has this.
- Strollers - Children must be removed from strollers. Strollers must be able to be collapsed and fit between the seats of the bus or secured by the driver. Strollers may not be placed in the aisle or next to the wheelchair lift.
- Food and Drink - Food and beverages are allowed on the vehicle for medical needs only. Take all garbage with you when getting off the bus.
- Pets (not service animals) - Pets are only allowed on the bus if prior arrangements have been made with the central office or driver. All pets must be in approved pet carriers and must fit on your lap or the seat next to you. Pet carriers are not allowed in the aisle or in the wheelchair lift area. You will be solely responsible for loading and unloading the pet carrier.
- Service Animals - Service animals are permitted to accompany individuals with disabilities in vehicles and facilities operated by West River Transit. The rider may be refused transportation services if the service animal is not under the control of the person with the disability or if it is threatening the safety of others.
- Cell Phones - While the use of cell phones is permitted on the bus, we ask that passengers please be considerate of the other riders. Loud talking that disturbs other passengers may result in a driver asking the offending passenger to refrain from using their cell phone.